For Anthropology Majors


Faculty Undergraduate Advisors provide general academic advising, are available to talk to students about planning for graduate school, and evaluate requests for exceptions, including credit for transfer courses. The 2014-15 Undergraduate Advisors are Professors Jun Sunseri (Archaeology) and Charles Hirschkind (Socio-Cultural).

The Undergraduate Student Affairs Officer (SAO), Frances Bright, is responsible for day-to-day advising of declared majors and students interested in Anthropology. The SAO can assist students with: declaring the major; assessing progress in the major; administrative concerns (i.e. TeleBEARS, Add/Drops); graduation matters; general info on Anthropology courses offered each term; options for independent study; Senior Honors Program; researching graduate programs and enrichment opportunities; and referral to other campus offices.

The Anthropology undergraduate adviser's office is in 215 Kroeber Hall, phone: (510) 642-3616, email:

Undergraduate Student Services Outside of Anthropology:

  • Monday through Friday 9 - 4.
  • The Office of Undergraduate Research assists students with finding opportunities to work with faculty on the cutting edge research projects for which Berkeley is world-renowned, and/or with planning for an individual original sustained research, field-study or creative project. Visit Undergraduate Research @ Berkeley.
  • Research workshops for all students, and individual advising for applicants to the Haas Scholars Program, are available on an on-going basis by contacting the Haas Scholars Program Coordinator at 5 Durant Hall, 643-6374,
  • The Career Center is located in the Banway Building, 2111 Bancroft Way, on the second floor.
    The phone number is: (510) 642-1716.
  • The Career and Educational Guidance Library is located at 2220 Bancroft Way (in front of the Tang Center).
    The phone number is (510) 642-2367.
  • Counseling and Psychological Services for career testing is located at the Tang Center, 2222 Bancroft Way, third floor, room 3240.
    The phone number is (510) 642-6520.

Independent Study

Academic credit may be earned for fieldwork, internships, specialized group study, or independent research projects. Applications are available outside the Undergraduate Office.